Thursday 18 February 2016

Why I'm trying vegan



Have I gone insane you may be wondering? The answer is no. I am just playing on something that has been bothering me for a while. I have strong beliefs about the consumption of meat, only for myself however. So I'm trying out a vegan trial. I will be eating as a vegan for a month, in which i'll mainly be consuming healthy whole foods. If this month works well for me, if I'm feeling the health benefits then maybe veganism is for me. Health is a priority, and as I workout and am keen on building muscle I want this diet to be providing me with energy and vitality, if it doesn't then it's back to the drawing board. 

Since I was a kid, I've always been vegetarian. My mother and my brother never ate meat and my dad who will literally eat anything used to complain about how fussy me and my little brother were brought up to be. (and he still does) The reason I wasn't fed meat was that my mother was having me around the time of deaths associated with 'Mad cow disease' now this was all caused by the fact that cows we're being fed brains of sheep and other cows infested with this disease. The way these cows were treated as well as the health risks posed made my mum decide to go vegetarian and not feed meat to her children. As I grew up I found that being a vegetarian posed more of a problem to others than it did myself. 'Haven't you ever wanted to try a big juicy steak?' 'But what about bacon?' Neither of these things have ever appealed to me. The smell, the look of them and the ethics surrounding it has always been off-putting to me. This is how I've been brought up, and to many it was a difficult concept for them to understand. 

However, when I reached the age of around 14-15 I began to restrict my foods in order to lose weight. I was basically vegan, without all the focus on health. I restricted dairy products out of fear of them as well as any calorie dense foods such as fats or for that matter.. any foods high in carbohydrates. This lead to me being severely under-nourished. I was weak, anaemic, deficient in most micronutrients (and macronutrients) I had a very low blood sugar which gave me a severe lack of energy which meant I basically had to nap after everyday tasks. 

Wanting my health back again, I decided to incorporate foods back into my diet. But the most radical change of all was that I wanted to try chicken. I wanted to build muscle and this was a decision I made myself. My parents have NEVER told me I can't try anything, and even though my mum doesn't touch red meat she is more than happy for me to make my own decisions. (and my decision is no, never) So anyway, chicken was on the cards. For me, as a non meat eater it didn't settle well for at least the first month. I struggled to eat it, I didn't enjoy it. The taste, the meaty texture, it wasn't my thing. Eventually though, I began to enjoy it and have never looked back. I now eat chicken daily as my source of protein. I am not however against the consumption of red meat, I personally do not wish to try it but I would never have a problem with anyone else consuming it. That's the beauty of free will. 

So why am I going vegan?

Animal rights 

I have very strong ethics concerning animal welfare. Even though I consume chicken frequently, there has always been a part of me that didn't sit well with it. I believe what you eat is a strong part of your identity and this is something I feel so strongly about that I believe it should reflect through my diet. 

“Isn't man an amazing animal? He kills wildlife - birds, kangaroos, deer, all kinds of cats, coyotes, beavers, groundhogs, mice, foxes and dingoes - by the million in order to protect his domestic animals and their feed. Then he kills domestic animals by the billion and eats them. This in turn kills man by the millions, because eating all those animals leads to degenerative - and fatal - health conditions like heart disease, kidney disease, and cancer. So then man tortures and kills millions more animals to look for cures for these diseases. Elsewhere, millions of other human beings are being killed by hunger and malnutrition because food they could eat is being used to fatten domestic animals. Meanwhile, some people are dying of sad laughter at the absurdity of man, who kills so easily and so violently, and once a year, sends out cards praying for Peace on Earth.” - David Coates

This especially made me think, the truth in it really astounded me. I am not turning into some vegan activist that is going to push my views/thoughts onto you. But I truly believe that the abuse and use of  animals is just one root for disease, malnutrition and hatred based on differences. Animal rights = human rights. 


The Food 

Firstly, I love vegan food. I am not a lover of dairy or eggs. Chicken obviously is a large part of my diet and it will be a little odd adjusting to such a big change. However, I am really excited as these whole foods are the type of foods I have always loved and changing up my diet is always exciting. In the venture for protein you could say I'm going to be trying a lot of new things, so this could get interesting. 

How will I get my protein you may ask? Through variety..Nearly all vegetables, beans, grains, nuts, and seeds contain some, and often much, protein. I'm talking whole foods, plant based proteins. Quinoa, beans,rice, chickpeas, lentils, tofu, leafy greens, chia seeds, nuts and nut butters.

Counting calories?

I am looking to find a diet that does not require careful monitoring of calories. I have been counting my macros/calories for years and I know roughly what portion  sizes equate to calorie/macro wise. Eating a plant based diet means a lot more added fibre, and definitely larger portion sizes to ensure enough calories are consumed to allow me to feel strong in the gym and feel full of energy on a daily basis. During my month of veganism I will not be counting calories but eating intuitively. I believe this will give me an improved relationship with food overall and give me a well deserved break from calorie counting. 

Health and Happiness

For me, happiness is being fully content with what I consume. Veganism for me would mean being comfortable entirely with my diet. Not only does the vegan diet make me happier about my food choices, it is extremely healthy. In my vegan trial I aim to be eating plant based whole foods, as little processed stuff as possible. This should show in my energy levels, my general health and in my skin, hair and nails.

A vegan diet requires thought, you can't simply cut out the meat and dairy and stick to the same foods you we're eating other than these. If carefully planned, you can enjoy variety and obtain a diet rich in proteins, vital vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Eating diets like these certainly reduce the incidence of conditions such as obesity, diabetes and heart disease  later on in life. 

and so, the trial begins. One month minus the meat and dairy, lets see how I get on. 



No comments:

Post a Comment