Wednesday 11 March 2015

Diets


Bit of a change up compared to my usual informative posts. This is more of an opinion post. 

There are so many ways to reach your body goals, but some are more optimal than others. Results shouldn't take months, if you want the best results then do things the right way. Okay, so there's no 'right' way, well no I agree with that. However, there is a way that will work best for you. Some methods may get you results, but those results may be very slow, other methods may actually be unhealthy. 

It is really so easy to be sidetracked by the way other people are doing things. I have literally tried everything..from intermittent fasting, IIFYM, going vegan, clean eating, intuitive eating, paleo..the list continues. Trying stuff out is good, so you can see what does and does not work. I will say that the ones that really did not work where the ones which took things to an extreme. Intermittent fasting never worked for me, I was crazy hungry. Being vegan really limited my protein sources, relying too much on carbs did not do me any favors. I am not saying these methods won't work for you but I think it's important you consider a few things before diving into a diet that you're not used to. 

Firstly, everyone is different. Check out that vegan bodybuilder..claiming he's living off carbs..or raw foods or whatever. He may look great, but that's HIM that's his GENETICS. His body works well on these foods. You on the other hand, you're a entirely different person. Another example, a guy who's stayed super lean on IIFYM, eating crap most meals but getting his macros in. This works for him, but you..your body will process things differently, you may be sensitive to the additives/sugars in certain foods.You simply cannot say that eating 100g of cereal is the same as eating the same macros in say a sweet potato. Another issue may be, even though a lot of IIFYM'ers will say that clean eating will leave you undernourished and this is a form of restriction it is very easy for a person who avoids 'clean' foods to be in danger of being malnourished even though they allow themselves to consume a wider range of food. Intermittent fasting, another popular method. Works for some, but others won't benefit from it as fasting for a set amount of time for some people will send their body into catabolism (muscle breakdown) Clean eating may not work for some people as it causes them to restrict certain foods too much, creating a negative relationship with these foods; a fear. 

Please don't get me wrong, I am not bashing these methods. It's good to keep an open mind. All I'm saying is, just because a way of eating has proven effective for someone it doesn't mean it will work for you. 

So when you're deciding which is the best way of reaching your goals for you ask yourself..

1) Is it healthy? 

For instance, relying mainly on a certain food for a long period of time. Or cutting out a certain food group for a long amount of time e.g - protein. Will this have a negative effect on your health? Will you still be able to acquire a suitable amount of micros and macros from your diet? Your health is essential, don't neglect it to reach your body goals, it will come back to bite you. 

2) Is it sustainable?

Is it something you can see yourself doing for a long time? does it FIT your lifestyle? For instance intermittent fasting..are you hungry? or you've decided to live off juice or something crazy like that.. how long is that realistically going to last? Choose something that fits you, something that doesn't seem ridiculously hard to follow. This will vary, some people find that clean eating just doesn't work for them as they tend to binge on junk food when the time comes. Others find clean eating a lot easier. 

3) Is it working?

Give the method a chance. But if you've been doing something for a long time and your results are crazy slow. Try something else, progress with muscle growth is slow yes, but you should be able to feel the difference in your strength, as well as your overall health relatively quickly. Fat burning needn't be a slow process either. 

If you are easily influenced by diet extremes (not that all of the ones I have mentioned are extremes) ask yourself these questions before you put your health at risk. 

What I do 

I currently eat mainly clean foods. and sticking to set macros. I am very sensitive to sugars in certain foods, I'm also very carb sensitive. I eat healthy, nourishing foods (over 2000 cals a day)I drink lots of water and green tea. Ensure I get all my macros as well as micros in, I get enough sleep, I rest and have the occasional treat. For me, these are the optimal conditions for muscle growth. I prefer eating this way, always have, my body responds a lot better to these foods. This method works well for most people! 

So, pretty much..there is no need to bash other methods or people's way of doing things. Find what works for you, don't get involved with criticizing others for the way they choose to live. Also, don't allow other peoples views to stop you doing what's working for you. There is no one way of doing something, but there is definitely a better way of doing things for you as an individual.   


3 comments:

  1. Hi sally, this was really informative so thank you for posting this - I do have one question though if that's ok? I have decided to try out high protein, low carb breakfasts instead of my usual oats. However I was wondering when the best time to eat my oats would be during the day? Normally I would have some around 5pm because its the only way to get my calories in really, but since I workout on a morning before I eat breakfast, I was wondering if this is ok? Or am I looking too deeply into this meal timing and stuff? Sorry if this is a bit long I just really wanted to ask someone who I trust with nutrition xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this was such an awesome article! Love your honesty and thoughtfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I've recently found your blog and follow you on ig and love it. wondered if you did meal plans? Or would help me figure out.
    Clair

    ReplyDelete