Wednesday 21 January 2015

Eating for your body type


So when I first calculated my macros, I pretty much went standard macros.. 

As in, my carb intake was high, my fat intake moderate and my protein intake moderate.. But what IIFYM calculator (however bloody brilliant it is) doesn't do is take into account your body type and you should know this. I'm sure we've all heard about the 3 body types, of course there are overlaps, you may not be just one, you could be a mixture of both. Whether you want to increase your muscle mass, burn fat, just maintain..I think it's important you consider your body type.


So, there are 3 types. 


Ectomorph - Ectomorphs are usually naturally skinny, with a fast metabolism and small frame. They have a resistance to weight gain and generally have low body fat and low muscle mass. 

Mesomorph  (the lucky ones) - They gain muscle far more easily, they have athletic body types. Usually a small waist accompanied by a large proportion of muscle mass. They have a fairly quick metabolism, but not as fast as an ectomorph. 

Endomorph - Endomorphs usually have a little extra body fat, they gain muscle, but gain fat more easily. Endomorphs tend to have a low metabolism, a more fuller and rounder shape and find it very hard to lose fat, especially around the abdominal area. 

The good news is, no matter what type you are you can still reach your physique goals..

You just have to do things a little differently!


Ectomorphs - 45-50% carbohydrate, 30% protein, 20-25% fat
 Pretty much..eat ALL the carbs. You have a fast metabolism, meaning you'll find it very hard to gain weight of any kind (including muscle) your meals should consist of a lean meat, a fat source and definitely a carb source. It's also recommended you snack on fruits throughout the day! Eat a big breakfast containing carbs and protein, make sure you're fueling your body pre and post workout. A cheat meal 1-2x a week may also be an excellent addition to your routine.
Your workouts should be intense but short, very minimal cardio, 2-3 rest days a week.

Mesomorphs 40% carbohydrate, 30% protein, and 30% fat
Now mesomorphs do need to watch their carb intake a little, try to avoid lots of high GI carbs such as white bread, sugary cereals etc. These of course can be eaten in moderation though! as a body type, you tend to gain muscle far quicker. However, good nutrition is still key (as always) feed your body with the right stuff and you'll get amazing results. 
Your workouts should be intense, your body responds well to exercise, supersets and limited rests will really benefit you. You may want to add a little cardio if you're 'bulking' to minimize fat gains. Ensure you do rest however, 1-2x a week. 

Endomorphs - 25% carbs, 35% protein, and 40% fat
Endomorphs have to be more careful with carbs, they tend to be less carb tolerant, I'd say to eat your carbs around your workouts, you still need carbs for fuel! but timing will be important in the case of an endomorph. An endomorph would really benefit from increased muscle mass, as this means an increased metabolic rate! an endomorph may want to incorporate cardio into their routine, by getting to the gym 4-5x a week, adding a little steady state cardio post session, keeping carbs quite low, fats and protein high, drink lots of water and green tea ..an endomorph will definitely be able to stay in shape, it's just a matter of knowing your body type.

The overall for all of these body types is that you're consuming foods with health benefits. 
Right now, for off season I pretty much eat clean, and that's because a) My coach tells me to. b) I want every food I consume to be beneficial to me in some way. c) I love it, I love how it makes me feel. I'm not saying everyone should eat clean though, IIFYM will always be my true love, and clean eating just doesn't work for some. Just make sure you're getting in all things your body needs. not neglecting what all these 'clean' foods have to provide us. 


I HOPE THIS POST WAS HELPFUL TO YOU! Get calculating towards YOUR goals. 

2 comments:

  1. Very informative post review. I am pleased to have come accross this article. I was eagerly looking for a post that give such information. Keep it up.
    I have some relevant information you can review below.
    Calriphen und Phenoxin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the information! I am an ectomorph. Any suggestions for calories? I am worried about eating too many calories and therefore gaining fat but also wondering if it's ok because my metabolism is so fast?

    ReplyDelete