Thursday 1 January 2015

Bulking or cutting?


When I started my fitness journey, I just wanted to 'cut' all I could think about was BURNING FAT. I was crazy about it, and I thought crazy amounts of cardio were the answer to 'toning up' I was never overweight, but I had a little extra fat here and there that I was desperate to get rid of. Many start off like this, but there's a reason why this definitely doesn't work..

When we're constantly in calorie deficit, weight training and doing too much cardio. We lose body mass, we may lose fat, but we also may (and most probably will, actually definitely will) lose muscle. What a lot of people don't understand is that this 'toned' look we're all aiming for, it doesn't just require fat loss. In fact, it's more about muscle gain, being toned and skinny are entirely different things. People who aren't generally overweight, but have a little fat here and there they don't really want (most of us) we won't benefit from excessive cardio, building muscle is definitely the answer. Having a higher percentage of muscle or lean mass is a calorie burner in itself, and that's when you'll be losing the fat in those hard to reach areas! PLUS you'll be able to eat more..and food is love.

However, muscle building requires a calorie surplus, DUN DUN DUN. Fear not, it's not as terrible and scary as it seems. The word 'bulking' is daunting for many, and was for me. Those who just want to 'tone up' invision very muscular women or fear the dreaded fat gain. The fear of gaining fat that I'd worked hard to lose at the gym scared me. When we eat a calorie surplus and combine it with weight training we create the perfect opportunity for muscle growth, fat gain is possible yes, but it's also not a terrible thing. Gaining muscle is A LOT harder than burning fat, it takes time and patience. That's why I think it's so important you focus entirely on one of the above. I shall tell you for nothing though, that under eating, then splurging because you've deprived yourself for so long, then doing a lot of cardio to compensate..that won't get you anywhere.

I also dislike the idea that people who are skinny and do a bit of cardio here and there are considered to be fitter than those who partake in resistance training and eat right. There's nothing wrong with being skinny, a lot of people are naturally skinny, a lot of people desire to be skinny. However, I would not consider someone who undereats and does some cardio here and there to be 'fit'. A common misconception with those who just lift weights are that they are not physically fit. For instance, I went to the gym the other day and this woman pointed me out to my mother (unlucky) and said 'She looks good but she can't be very fit.' To which my mum replied 'Well, actually, that's my daughter and she's super fit,' For me, fit is being strong, having good health as well as cardiovascular fitness and feeding your body right. Fit doesn't look a certain way, it's not defined in abs or being a certain weight. It's different for everyone, it's about how you FEEL and perform, not the way you look. 

My tips for positive bulking 


1) You need to get rid of this idea that when you were leaner you we're a better you. So what if I've gained a little fat? I've gained muscle too, I feel awesome. I'm comfortable with my body, and when I was leaner, I didn't necessarily look better, it was just another version of me. When a bikini or figure competitor 'cuts' they look pretty extraordinary, but it's not sustainable. In fact, the softer off season look to me is far more appealing, as it represents them as a person, doing what they love. The cut them, that's just for the stage and it's not sustainable, more like their superhuman form that comes out for the stage. BUT when they're grinding every damn day, eating well and lifting, that's them kicking ass, doing what they love.

2) Have a goal in mind, be specific and geeky about it. I work with numbers, with macros. It's easier for me, as I can build up my calories (for a bulk) and then when I want to cut (for my first show) I can slowly reduce them. It makes the reverse dieting process a lot easier too post show. I know macros aren't for everyone though, and if not..that's okay too. But my advice would be to have some kinda control of what you're eating on your 'bulk' don't go crazy (well do sometimes) Bulk smart.

3) Ditch the scales, I've heard this so so often and it didn't really hit home with until recently. I thought the scales were harmless, but they had a very negative effect on me without me even realizing.Whilst bulking I'd weigh myself, wanting a weight gain..but on seeing a weight gain I'd subconsciously under eat! Absolutely ridiculous. The scales aren't really an accurate representation of what you're trying to achieve. You may weigh more, but that says nothing about your body fat to muscle ratio! for people like me, the scale is meaningless. I look for physical progress, it's far more fun. 

4) Do it right. So..you're trying to gain muscle but you're running every single morning because you enjoy it. That's fine, but what's more important to you? It may be the running and that's fine. But if you're trying to gain muscle and you're doing loads of cardio, don't expect the results you want. Are you kidding yourself into thinking your eating enough when you're really not? You only get the results you work for. Don't say the process isn't working if you're not giving it a chance.

5) Don't let other peoples journeys affect yours. You may see the women on ig (the women with amazing physiques) doing cardio every day for an hour, then doing another weight session in the night. This doesn't work for many reasons. Firstly, you're not them, you haven't yet built up the muscle they have (do that first) Secondly, your body wont respond in the same way as others. You need to find out what works for you. Me for instance, if I do 2 sessions a day and lots of cardio, It's detrimental. I love exercise, but I have goals in mind. This goes the same with food, just cause she's eating tiny tiny portions it doesn't mean you need to. You're you. You have your own goals and do what you gotta do to reach them.
6) Rest. Rest and bulking really really scared me, surely..If I'm eating in excess and I'm not doing any form of exercise twice a week I'll be gaining a lot of fat? Not true. Your body needs calories just to live, and if you're a keen gym goer anyway, you'll be burning more calories than most just by sitting about on your laptop in a onesie writing your blog with a green tea. (me currently) Think about it, if you're working hard and eating right, why ruin your progress by not allowing your muscles to grow? I'm starting the hashtag #teamdaysoff I swear. OH HEY and see that girl who's rest day consists of a 5 mile run and 2 hours of yoga, RIP gains.

7) Eat well, this is ridiculously simple. Feed your body with what it needs. Of course bulking means we can fit in a lot more extra treats but don't forget nutrients your body needs to train well. I'm talking the standard stuff. Lean meats, veggies, fruits, fibrous carbs and healthy fats. Bulking season is the season for improvement, fuel your body right and get those workouts!

8) Be content in that you're on your way to a pretty rockin' bod. It may take time, it can be psychologically tough. But if you think about achieving a more muscular or toned body every day, then it's definitely worth it. See what your body's capable of and give it your all. Be consistent and learn to love your body no matter what phase you're in, whether you've gained a little fat or lost a little. You're still you. Confidence is attractive, respect yourself enough to not obsess over the little things. 


1 comment:

  1. I've found your blog through instagram, and you are an incredibly inspiring person. I have had so many eating troubles and body issues in the past, and am just beginning to do what is right for my body, but I've been reading a lot of your posts, and they're really helping me. You are so full of great advice, and you look amazing! I'm really going to try and adopt your great attitude to health and fitness! Xx

    ReplyDelete