Saturday 27 December 2014

The mind Muscle connection



This subject really intrigues me as..well, I can really relate. I sometimes find myself, performing exercises that I've done so often that whilst doing them, I zone out. I don't even think about the motion, nor the muscle groups I'm targeting, what I'm supposed to be feeling. Lifting weights shouldn't just be a thoughtless routine, it's not a race, when you plan your workout, it shouldn't be performed in a way that your basically rush all the exercises to get out of the gym. You may have a high volume workout on your hands, but where the intensity? are you actually pushing yourself? Is your form correct? 

In my opinion FORM> WEIGHT> VOLUME

So firstly, the exercise you're performing, get it right. If it doesn't feel right, if you're not working the intended muscle or your straining some other muscle, you need to do your research or ask for help, because it's obviously not doing the job intended. In fact, it's probably doing the exact opposite, it's probably detrimental aaaand that's not good, we want gains not injury. Also, if you're not getting the full contraction in.. e.g - squat depth, and you simply can't..lower the weight, get that form in, deep squats are far better than heavy squats where you're basically doing some kinda weird bobbing movement and your legs hardly move. 

Weights, once you've got the form, are you lifting heavy enough? I often see girls (sorry girls) (I used to do this) (It's easily done) lifting very very low weights for high reps, not really even pushing themselves at all. Now this is all very well, if you want to do cardio do cardio, but if you wanna gain some muscle you gotta be pushing yourself. Your muscles react to heavy weights, if you wanna grow you gotta but some kinda strain on your muscles. Even if you have to lower the reps then, that's fine! as long as you can FEEL your legs working. Now HEAVY is different for everyone, heavy doesn't necessarily mean like lifting crazy amounts, as long as YOU feel it, it's working. Just because someone is lifting crazy heavy and you're not, don't feel as though you need to straight away, push yourself and you'll get there someday. 

aaaand volume, yes volume is all very good. But make sure you can actually 1) do correct form & 2) lift heavy enough to put some pressure on your muscles! before you go crazy on volume. I like to mix it up, but mainly my reps range between 6-12 depending on the exercise and weight. For instance, deep heavy squats 6-8..lunges 12 reps. 

So more on this mind muscle connection, next time you find yourself doing an exercise, squats for example think to yourself.. can I really feel it where I should? Are my quads/hamstring/glutes engaged? or am I putting too much pressure on my back or my knees? It's quite interesting, the more you go to the gym.. the more you get into this routine, the less you think about the movements and their efficiency.I used to go to the gym, get it done (like it was a chore) get outta there, pretty muscle ache free and then turn up to do the same thing the next day. But recently, I've really gotten into thinking about my form during exercises and it's brought back the passion that I once had for the gym, focusing on correct technique and targeting certain muscles really leads to a better workout. Tell yourself, what more have I got to give? and give it your all, walk outta that gym like a badasssss who's actually WORKED.  



No comments:

Post a Comment