Monday 6 January 2014

I love carbs.
I reallllllly love carbs. I have 300g a day.
Don't avoid carbs, they're your friend, I promise.
I'd say my 3 main carbs are oats, sweet potato and brown rice. 

But what are their benefits? why brown or white? sweet over normal potatoes? 

If we look at rice, per 100g brown rice has 111calories, white has 130 calories. 
they also has a ratio of 23/28 grams of carbs respectively. Not much between them, I don't prefer brown rice for that reason, I need carbs and calories! However, for weightloss it's pretty handy, especially as brown rice contains more dietary fibre, meaning you'll feel fuller for longer. 
 Brown rice has:
  • twice the manganese and phosphorus of white.
  • 2.5 times the iron.
  • 3 times the vitamin B3.
  • 4 times the vitamin B1.
  • 10 times the vitamin B6.
It is a great source of manganese, essential for energy production, antioxidant activity, and sex hormone production. (HA, sex hormone production, great for me as I have a date with James Franco tonight) (that was a joke) (in my dreams) (I'm going to stop bracketing my thoughts now)
A 100 g serving of a baked white potato with the skin contains 93 calories, while the same sized serving of a baked sweet potato with the skin contains 90 calories.. However, there isn't much between them, and sweet potatoes fibre content generally keeps you fuller for longer. I prefer sweet potatoes because they taste so much better in my opinion..they have more sugar but definitely satisfy a sugar craving.They're also full of nutrients! The sweet potato provides significantly more Vitamin C, as well Vitamin A (384% of your daily needs) great news as Vitamin A supports growth, the immune system and eye health. BUT, I will say, I'm not disregarding white potatoes, they actually contain a lot of vitamins themselves, and both potatoes actually contain feel-good chemicals. 
The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment